12.27.2008

Musings from Normandy

Good day in France today! Skies are blue and weather is cold. A good day
for remembrance --

THE SOLDIER

I was sitting in the twilight;
At the dawn on Norman shore.
When a soldier sat beside me
I could tell his heart was sore.

I was here that dreadful morning
Sixth of June in 'forty-four.
'Took a bullet -- didn't make it;
And I died here on this shore.

Now I come back every morning
To relive that awful hell;
To give honor to my comrades;
And to bless the place they fell.

I have seen the hurt of battle;
I have watched my brothers die.
And to those who give no honor
I say let those bastards die.

All around me things are different.
I can see the changing tide.
I trust the past is not repeated
And another million die.

- Frank Andrews 12-27-08

THE WALK

It was early in the morning
And there was no sun to shine.
I took a walk on Normandy beach
For some sobering thoughts to find.

In memory I could hear the sounding
Of the awful battle blast.
I walked today along the shore
Where the soldiers brave were cast.

Into the mouth of hell that day
Brave soldiers marched in fear.
And though death was all around them;
Only God above could hear.

The sound of battle now is dim;
Now the tide has washed away;
But the blood that stained the beaches;
It will live another day.

MAY GOD IN HIS INFINITE WISDOM DELIVER US FROM WAR.

- Frank Andrews 12-27-08

BACK TO CHRONIC DISCONTENT BOOKS

No comments: